Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Feeling Emotional about Elizabeth Edwards

I have to admit that when Elizabeth and John Edwards announced the recurrence, with mets to the bone, of her breast cancer, I was one who said, why doesn't he just drop out? I railed that they had young children and should be focused on them. Not campaigning.

But who am I to judge? I think it was easy for me to sit in the comfort of my own home and think I knew what was best for her and her family. I know for a fact that my mom does not want to be treated like an invalid before she must. And, she is determined to have as full a life as she can while she still can. I imagine Elizabeth thought much the same. Back when she still thought her husband was an honorable man, even if she did have questions, I guess she thought he would have been what was best for our country. And, perhaps, she thought getting him elected could be her legacy.

I was so sad when I heard about her death yesterday. It hit me much harder than I ever would have expected. When I think about her children, I break down.
There are lessons to be learned in how Elizabeth handled her disease. She treated each day as a gift. I understand that she was writing a letter of life lessons to her children during these past three years. Good for her. I am certain her children will treasure it.

Dignity. Courage. Grace. All under the ever watchful eye and glare of the media. We can all learn from that.

Rest in peace, Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment